Sex Education Collaborative launches website with open access Training Hub
For Immediate Release
May 21, 2020
Contact: Zach Eisenstein
Phone: (202) 265-2405 ext 3330
(Washington, DC) — As remote learning continues for much of the country, members of the Sex Education Collaborative (SEC) have created a new online training hub with a wide variety of professional development offerings for sex educators and school administrators at SexEducationCollaborative.org.
The SEC envisions a world in which all young people’s right to comprehensive, high-quality sex education is recognized and fulfilled. This vision can only be realized if educators have the knowledge, training, and support to effectively deliver sex education. SexEducationCollaborative.org gathers trusted trainings and resources from national, regional, and state-based sex education experts for access at work, at home, or wherever educators and administrators need to work.
The SEC brings sex education experts together to develop streamlined resources for the field. In addition to this newest offering, members have jointly created the Professional Learning Standards for Sex Education released last year. Members of the SEC individually hold deep expertise on sex education, and, with ongoing social distancing, the SEC believes that sharing this knowledge is crucial to ensuring high-quality sex education for all young people.
“We are thrilled to join our Sex Education Collaborative partners in launching this new platform to equip educators and administrators everywhere with the tools they need to provide the sex ed their students deserve,” said Christine Soyong Harley, President & CEO at SIECUS: Sex Ed for Social Change. “This collective effort will undoubtedly play a powerful role in advancing our field forward, offering new, robust support for educators across the country as they work to implement high-quality, inclusive, and effective sex education.”
Training opportunities and resources can be found at SexEducationCollaborative.org.
Facts About the Sex Education Collaborative:
- Comprised of 19 national, regional, and state-based organizations with extensive experience training educators to deliver school-based sex education
- Provides K–12 educators and administrators access to trusted sex education resources, training, and technical assistance, aligned to the National Sex Education Standards.
- Members include local and national sex educators, curriculum designers, policy experts, and organizers, ready to help you improve access to high-quality sex education in your community.
- Working toward comprehensive, high-quality sex education that is grounded in equity and social justice and is culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate, inclusive, medically accurate, sex positive, and trauma-informed.
The SEC is comprised of the following organizations:
- Advocates for Youth
- ETR Associates
- Fact Forward
- Healthy Teen Network
- Georgia Campaign for Adolescent Power & Potential (GCAPP)
- Institute of Women and Ethnic Studies (IWES)
- Michigan Organization on Adolescent Sexual Health (MOASH)
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA)
- Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest and Hawaiian Islands (PPGNHI)
- Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts (PPLM)
- Power to Decide
- SHIFT NC
- SIECUS: Sex Ed for Social Change
- The Responsible Sex Education Institute of Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains
- Teen Health MS
- WV Free
SIECUS: Sex Ed for Social Change has served as the national voice for sex education for 55 years, asserting that sexuality is a fundamental part of being human, one worthy of dignity and respect. Through policy, advocacy, education, and strategic communications efforts, SIECUS advances sex education as a vehicle for social change—working toward a world where all people can access and enjoy sexual and reproductive freedom as they define it for themselves.